One of the most popular treatments around is Botox. Even if you haven’t tried it yourself, you’ve likely heard about it from someone who has. But what does it actually involve? What should you expect at your appointment? Or when should you start getting Botox injections? In this blog post, we are going to address all of the questions and concerns you may have if you are interested in this treatment.
What to Expect at Your First Botox Appointment
Botox is a cosmetic skincare treatment that can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. If you’re considering getting Botox, you may be wondering what to expect at your appointment.
First and foremost, we will always start the appointment with a full assessment. We will discuss your goals and expectations.
- Why have you decided you want to get Botox?
- What wrinkles or areas of the face bother you?
I’ll give my prescriptive dose recommendation, considering age, upcoming events, and past medical history. This means how many units you will need to get a result that you are happy with. Typical areas that can be treated with Botox are frown lines, crow’s feet, and forehead creases.
However, you may be surprised to find out that Botox can also treat issues such as excessive sweating, neck banding, or TMJ in your jawline. The neurotoxin (also known as Botox/Dysport/Xeomin) formula works by temporarily paralyzing the muscles, which reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
How the Procedure is Done
The actual Botox procedure is a relatively simple one.
- First, photos are taken so you have baseline images.
- Next, the area to be treated is cleansed with an antiseptic solution.
- Then, a very thin needle is used to inject botulinum toxin (otherwise known as Botox/Dysport/Xeomin) into the target muscles. While having thin needles injected into your face can sound scary, the experience is generally painless.
- You may feel a slight pinch depending on the area being injected, but most patients will describe the pain as equivalent to a mosquito bite. The entire procedure takes only a few minutes, and there is no downtime required afterward.
- Post-procedure. you may experience a little bit of redness or bruising at injection sites, but those typically are not noticeable and resolve within a few hours. In fact, most of my patients come to get their treatment during lunch and go back to work!
What Kind of Results You Can Expect from Botox Injections?
Because Botox works by temporarily paralyzing muscles, it takes a few days for it to kick in (10-14 to be exact) and you to notice it start working. Most patients start seeing results around a week after their appointment. The results will look like less movement in the areas that were treated, which smooths out the wrinkles you previously noticed. Botox done right simply reduces the appearance of natural wrinkles that occur and does not change your appearance.
How Long Will My Botox Last?
The results of Botox typically last for three to four months. The length of time that your results will last depends on a number of factors. These include the areas treated, the amount of product used, and your individual physiology. A common question I am asked is, “When will I know my botox is wearing off?” You will slowly start noticing more movement coming back in the areas treated and fine lines start to appear again. I typically recommend every 3 months to maintain your desired results. Individuals who receive regular Botox injections often find that their results last longer over time. Coming in for routine Botox appointments can actually prevent deeper lines and wrinkles from ever forming, which is great for preventing an aging face.
Ready to Get Started?
Botox is a quick, easy, and minimally invasive way to achieve a more youthful appearance. I can guarantee you will love your results and be happy you booked an appointment when you leave our office. My team and I are here to make sure you have the best experience possible. If you are considering Botox for the first time, I hope this article has helped put your mind at ease.